Monday, February 1, 2016

Laughter and Old Age

"With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come."
 William Shakespeare


Today is my birthday. 60 years ago today my parents welcomed me into a postwar world of prosperity and seemingly unending growth. They had lost two babies before me, my brothers, so I became the oldest of what would eventually include three more siblings, my two sisters and my brother. 




As my 60th year opens, I am contemplating what I will do for the rest of my life. I know what I want to do. I want to travel to the Southwest again. I visited Santa Fe about ten years ago (time flies - I can't believe it was that long ago), and now some of my friends have moved there for retirement. I don't necessarily want to live there, but perhaps a long summer visit to write would be fun. 

I also want to spend more time writing and working in my studio. I recently moved to a small 900 square foot house. I now have a second bedroom for a studio, which is making me very excited. I have been living in a 450 square foot apartment with only one bedroom and working in my living room, which had its ups and downs. I loved the coziness and smallness, but in the end I didn't have the room I needed for bigger projects. This year I hope to start my art quilt projects that I have been putting off because I lacked the space to lay them out and work on them (more on this in a month or two). 

Another big project for 2016 is a garden. The house I rented has a lot of yard, and a sunny spot in the back for a garden. I plan on planting a big garden for vegetables and another for herbs. I can't wait to start this project. Fresh food from the garden is such a luxury, and one that I haven't had for a long time. 

But writing tops my list of things that I want more of in 2016. I have unfinished stories and stacks of poetry that must see the light of the world this year. As a long time journal keeper, I also want to organize my journals and put a system in place for the rest of my writing this year. Stay tuned. 

Sixty. I'm wondering how I got to be this old, but I'm also rejoicing for how wonderful my life turned out. I have three sons, two daughter-in-laws, my youngest son's girlfriend, five wonderful, sweet, funny, fun, adorable grandchildren, and I have friends who make me laugh and care about me. What more could one hope for in life. Have a joyous day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment